Delicious & easy prosciutto and mozzarella stuffed chicken breast in a pistachio crust (gluten f
I've recently learned how to butterfly pork and chicken and I've been using my skills ever since making some pretty easy yet gourmet looking, restaurant quality meals. No matter what, anything you make at home will be healthier than if you were to order it out. You have full control over the quality of the ingredients (meat raised without hormones, nitrate free prosciutto, organic produce etc.) and added fats and salt. And seriously prepping of this recipe takes 5 minutes.
Here's all you need to make this yummy and nutritious recipe:
- Organic chicken breasts - I had two breasts weighting total 1.6lbs (25 oz) so I have planned to make two dinners out of it for me and my husband, if the chicken breasts are smaller plan 1 slice of prosciutto + 1 slice of mozzarella for each breast
- 4 slices of nitrate free prosciutto (such as local Del Duca sold at Trader Joe's)
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh basil, roasted garlic or pesto (optional)
How to make this:
Pre-heat the over to 350F.
1. Tightly wrap each slice of mozzarella in the prosciutto, set aside. Try not to leave any gaps as the cheese will melt away through them during cooking.
2. Place pistachios in a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs. During this step you can add some parmesan cheese (1TBS), black pepper, chili flakes, oregano, anything that you like to mix into the crust.
3. Butterly each chicken breast and pound till they are evenly thin - about 1inch.
4. Sprinkle ground pepper and any other spices that you like and spread roasted garlic or pesto (if using) inside the chicken.
5. Stuff with mozzarella/prosciutto slices (and basil if using) and close.
6. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, pepper the top and pour lemon juice over the breasts.
7. Spread 'pistachio crumbs' over the breasts. I usually place a spoonful in the middle of the breast and use my fingers to spread it all over.
8. Bake for 18-22 minutes (1.6 lbs of chicken took 22 minutes at 350F in the small toaster oven on convection).
Picture before cooking: