What do I eat? Full disclosure on wine and chocolate.
I decided to write this post because a lot of my clients ask me questions like:
"So what do you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner?"
"Do you drink alcohol at all?"
"How many calories a day do you eat?"
"Do you work out every day?"
"What are your go to snacks?"
and my favorite
"Do you eat any carbs?"
Before you read anything below, please note that my goal is not to lose weight. I'm trying to maintain my weight and from time to time put on some lean mass.
I believe in the 80/20 approach. I have a solid nutritional base that I maintain regardless of whether I'm home or on vacation and then for the 20% of the time, on daily basis, I have whatever I want, which honestly is mostly filled with wine and chocolate.
Just so you have a full picture and in case you don't know me very well, I also don't have any kids, I'm under 30 years old and other than my terrible sleep my stress levels are very low.
Currently I strength train 2-3 times a week. My goal is to add another session of conditioning 1 x week but honestly that rarely happens.
7 hrs a night on average.
Between 2000-2300 calories a day.
My daily food intake:
Breakfast (anywhere between 4.15am-6am):
- tall glass of water
- 1 cup black coffee
- 2 slices of Ezekiel bread with whole milk cottage cheese, sliced banana, cinnamon (sometimes I add peanut butter underneath if I'm not going to be able to eat for a long time)
- 2 slices of Ezekiel bread with guacamole, 2 sunny side up eggs, 2 slices of organic turkey, peppers or cucumbers
OR recent weekend favorite
- 1 banana mushed with 2 eggs made into pancakes with cottage cheese and cinnamon
5am - 12noon - I'm sipping on Garden of Life greens powder dissolved in 24 oz of water
Lunch (11am - 1pm depending on breakfast time):
- some sort of protein (2-3 eggs, turkey slices, meat sauce, meatballs, chicken breast, turkey burger, canned salmon, canned sardines)
- 2-4 cups of veggies / spinach salad
- some sort of carb such as whole grain crackers, sweet potato, fruits
1 pm - 5 pm - water and herbal teas
Dinner (between 5 - 6 pm):
- some sort of protein (chicken, meat sauce, meatloaf, fish, meatballs, turkey burgers, chicken, etc.)
- 2-4 cups of veggies
- 1-2 glasses of water
- 1-3 glasses of wine (depends on the day)
- some sort of chocolate (often as much as 1/2 bar)
Snapshots of some of my common meals:
On workout day I will add an extra serving of protein and carbs, usually protein shake immediately after a workout, then extra carbs (sweet potatoes or extra fruit) with lunch.
We go out once a week, usually for BBQ, I order meat and veggies only, and a beer of course.
1-2 a week I order Kettlebell kitchen meals that I would eat for lunch on busy days. Other than that I cook a lot from scratch.
If I get hungry between lunch and dinner I would snack on popcorn or nuts but I try to avoid snacks as much as I can.
How did I eat in the past?
My food intake started to look this way only about 3 years ago. Before that I would drink very little water, eat very little veggies, would have processed carbs pretty much at every meal. I drank mostly beer and ate ice cream for dessert. I would only run, maybe 1 x week (2-3 miles) and do some abs at home. I also had a sedentary job and would get sick all the time.
I was at the same weight though, but my body composition is very different now than then.
I hope I answered most of the questions you may have about my diet. If not, please shoot me an email.