10 foods that have more potassium than a banana
What are the best sources of potassium?
Since I coach a lot of people who exercise regularly, this is a very common question I get. Everybody knows the banana, but let's see what other foods top the list.
Potassium helps regulate your body’s fluid levels, aids in muscular function and waste removal, and keeps your nervous system functioning properly.
If your potassium levels are too low, it can result in fatigue, insomnia, depression, muscular weakness or cramping, and cardiovascular issues such as an abnormal heart rhythm.
So what are the top sources of potassium other than bananas?
1. ALL kinds of baked potatoes
2. Dark leafy greens - such as spinach, bob chow, Swiss chard, kale.
4. Wild Salmon - raw, baked, broiled, or canned
5. Acorn squash, butternut squash, pumpkin, zucchini, brussel sprouts
6. Beans, lentils, edamame & nuts
7. Tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and roasted tomatoes
8. Watermelon & cantaloupe
10. Yogurt and milk
Since fall is here try my potassium rich post-workout smoothie:
1 banana fresh or frozen
2-4 TBS pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 cup spinach, tightly packed
5 oz greek yogurt, OR 5 oz plain yogurt + 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
Blend it all together, serve and enjoy!