When was the last time you checked the nutritional (back) label of the item you were purchasing? Like many of us, chances are you only read the front and make your decision based on the marketing claims created by food manufacturers whose main goal is to sell as much of this food as possible.
This week I want to test your knowledge in a form of a little food trivia.
I went to Trader Joe's and picked pairs of packaged items from similar food categories and compared them based on their nutritional value (calories, carbs, fats, sugar, protein).
Based only on the front of the package, do you know which item is more nutritious and therefore a better buy?
Write your answers as you go down the list and then check if your choices was the more nutritious ones (answers in the end of the post).
Post your score under my Facebook page or e-mail it to me.
Let's see who gets the most answers right.
I got to say, some of them are pretty tricky and may really surprise you.
1. RX bar VS Cliff bar.
2. Omega Trek Mix VS Go Raw Trek Mix.
3. Organic Cold Brew Mocha Nut Latte VS Vanilla Almond Spiced Chai
4. Chocolate Chip Dunkers VS Crispy Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
5. Breaded Cod Fillets VS Panko breaded Tilapia Fillets
6. Fish Sticks VS Fish Nuggets
7. Organic Corn Flakes VS Shredded Wheats
8. Gluten Free Battered Halibut VS Regular Battered Halibut
9. Spanakopita VS Greek Spanakopita
10. Potato Fries VS Garlic Potatoes w/parmesan sauce.
11. Fage 2% VS Organic Non-fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt
12. KIND NUTS & SPICES Dark Chocolate Mocha Almond VS KIND PLUS Cranberry Almond + Antioxidants
Ok, so here the answers:
1. RX bar
2. Go Raw Mix
3. Mocha Nut Latte
6. Fish sticks
7. Shredded Wheats
8. Gluten-free Halibut
11. Fage 2%
12. Kind Nuts and Spices
Are you surprised with the answers? Have questions or comments?
Share them with me on my Facebook page or via e-mail - I would love to hear from you.